Saturday, May 12, 2007

Noahs first trip to Cross Lutheran

For the first time I traveled to Walnut Way in order to get in touch with and learn about the people who live and work there. To do this I toured the neighborhood with resident and community leader pastor Kenneth Wheeler. I meet pastor Wheeler at his Cross Lutheran Church located in the Walnut Way neighborhood. When I first arrived Pastor Wheeler explained how Cross Lutheran Church is one of the many churches in the area and is actually the only Lutheran church. After this he took me down to the lower level of the church where he showed me both a mess hall and a public clinic. The pastor explained to me how every week down in the mess hall they serve a hot meal for people in the community. This is one of the churches regular outreach events and is a great service to the community. Also in the lower level of the church is a local clinic. This clinic employ’s both paid doctors, nurses and many volunteers. The clinic serves over 3,000 people. Then Pastor Wheeler took me on a short tour of the neighborhood. He pointed out several of the local restaurants including Galst Food, Jake’s Deli, and Speed Queen Bar-B-Q. All of these businesses have been fixtures in the community for year. Finally Pastor Wheeler explained how both the Second Harvest Food Bank and the Milwaukee County Transit System building came to be. Years ago homes in the area were cleared to make way for a highway. The highway was never built and these buildings were put in the homes place.

No comments: